Maryland Online Gambling
Since becoming legal in 2022, Maryland online gambling has grown tremendously. Recent amendments in Maryland’s gambling mean that adults in the state can bet on retail casino games and sports games at regulated Maryland online gambling sites.
MD online gambling has opened up the casino and sportsbook landscape with lots of options, promo offers, and more. MDGambler.com will walk you through and get you started with online gambling in MD.
Best Maryland online gambling sites available
Only online sports betting is live and legal.
Maryland Online Gambling: All sites are 100% legal & licensed by the state.
|Caesars Sportsbook Up to $1,250 bonus
|Bet now Caesars MD promo code
|BetRivers Sportsbook Up to $100 in bonus bets
|Bet now BetRivers promo code MD
|DraftKings Sportsbook Bet $5, get $150 in bonus bets
|Bet now DraftKings MD promo
|Betfred Sportsbook Get up to $1,111 in Fred Bets
|Bet now Betfred Maryland promo code
|BetMGM Sportsbook Up to $1,000 in bonus bets
|Bet now BetMGM MD bonus code
|FanDuel Sportsbook Bet $5 get $200 in bonus bets
|Bet now FanDuel Maryland promo code
|PointsBet Sportsbook Five Second Chance Bets Up To $100 Each
|Bet now PointsBet MD promo
|Crab Sports Up to $250 in bonus bets
|Bet now Crab Sports promo
Is online gambling legal in Maryland?
Depending on the type of Maryland gambling sites you’re interested in, there are different considerations to keep in mind.
|Current online gambling status in Maryland
|Legal sports betting
|Retail Maryland gambling status
|Casino and sports betting
|Launch date for sports betting
|Jan 1, 2023
|Launch date for online casino
|Not yet legal
Since Maryland sports betting online went live in 2022, the state became one of the biggest online sports betting markets in the USA. Since the first online sportsbook launched in November 2022, we’ve seen 12 more make an entry.
Various other are working on getting their licenses, so this number will rise as time goes by.
Some in the list of Maryland sportsbooks include:
- Caesars Sportsbook
- Crab Sports
Maryland is home to 6 land-based casinos such as Live! Casino, MGM Casino, and Hollywood Casino. They have been welcoming players since 2010.
At the moment, Maryland online casinos are illegal, even though neighbours such as New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania have made them legal. This may push MD lawmakers to change and consider legalizing online casinos.
For around 50 years, Maryland residents have had the opportunity to play the state lottery. This MD-run organization offers Mega Millions, Powerball, Cash 4 Life, and a number of local draw games.
To keep things interesting, MD residents can also try their luck with scratch-cards and Keno available at lottery retailers across the state. The Maryland Lottery regulates land-based casinos and sports betting in the state.
Like many other parts of the US, horse racing is a popular sport to place bets on. Some noteworthy racetracks around Maryland include Ocean Downs, Laurel Park, and the Maryland Jockey Club.
Punters can place bets at the race tracks, or in advance through mobile apps such as TVG. There’s also the option to use six off-track horse betting locations — some of which are located at Maryland casinos.
Since online real-money casinos are not legal in Maryland, there are alternatives for Maryland residents to consider. Social and sweepstakes casinos are legal options.
Here, players use virtual cash to play casino-like games. In some cases, players can exchange winnings for cash. These sweepstakes casinos offer exciting slot machine games as well as popular table games such as blackjack and roulette.
Getting Started with Maryland Gambling
To become an established gambler, you need to take the time to hone your skills, Though it’s all about “chance”, you still need to understand how different betting strategies work. So, if you’re new to MD online gambling, read on to arm yourself with the information you need to be successful.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to enjoying Maryland online gambling:
- Register with a legitimate online gambling platform in Maryland. Check that it holds a license from the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency before registering. This information can be found on the site.
- Explore the available gambling products such as sports betting, live sports betting, and daily fantasy sports. Check and compare the available odds and make sure they have the best payment method for you.
- Visit the cashier page and make a deposit. Each gambling site will have its own minimum and maximum transfer amount, so take note of this when inputting your desired amount. Follow the instructions to complete the transaction.
- Check for bonus offers on the promotions page. New players at Maryland gambling sites have the opportunity to enjoy a sign-up bonus. Take the time to take advantage of first deposit matches, for example.
- Find a game you’re interested in and place your wagers. This could be for a future game or a live one.
- Request a withdrawal and choose your preferred payment method. Most sportsbooks will need to check your account for fraud before they approve a payment.
The Know Your Customer (KYC) process is necessary in order to comply with gambling laws in MD. Through it, players must verify their accounts by submitting the necessary identification documents to customer service.
This step is a one-time requirement to ensure that you’re a real person and that you’re not trying to “clean” illegally earned money. Once done, you can withdraw your winnings swiftly and hassle-free.
Quick Online Gambling Tips
- Familiarize yourself with sports betting and casino terminology. This will greatly assist you in comprehending the terms and conditions set by operators.
- Start with small wagers when you begin your betting journey. It allows you to try out the gambling products, and understand how the site works without risking a lot of your money.
- Use a payment method you’re most comfortable with. It’ll make the deposit and withdrawal process a lot easier for you.
Best Gambling Sites in Maryland
Since MD is a huge state for online gambling (sports betting). Here are the top gambling sites available in Maryland:
Maryland Gambling Laws
When you choose Maryland gambling sites for sports, you’re assured of providers that are monitored by local regulators, thus protecting you. There are a number of laws that cover the regulation of land-based casinos, lottery, horse racing, daily fantasy sports (DFS), and sports betting.
The State Lottery and Gaming Control Agency closely monitors these. This regulator oversees and licenses gambling operators within the state. However, your options are more limited when it comes to online gambling because online casinos are currently prohibited.
Horse racing, which has a rich history and tradition in Maryland, is a popular gambling activity in the state. The Maryland Racing Commission is responsible for regulating this market and issuing licenses to operators.
Online Sports Betting Regulations in MD
In 2020, Maryland residents voted in favor of retail and online sports betting. Then, in 2021, the new law was introduced, and the first in-person sports betting venue opened in December 2021. People over 21 years of age could now place bets on sporting events while in MD.
However, it was only in December 2022 that online sportsbooks began to operate in the state. Seven online gambling sites in Maryland started accepting bets on sports events.
Before an online sportsbook can start operations, it must partner with an existing land-based sportsbook venue All online platforms offering sports betting must hold licenses issued by the State Lottery & Gaming Control Agency.
Online Casino Regulations in Maryland
Unfortunately, Maryland’s gambling laws prohibit online casino websites. It doesn’t look like changes to this will come into effect any time soon. To legally enjoy casino games, visit a physical, land-based casino in Maryland.
A Quick History of Gambling in Maryland
The history of Maryland’s gaming history is one of many ups and downs. It earned the nickname “Little Vegas” in the 1950s, and since then, it’s been trying to strike a balance between regulation and restriction.
Since the legalization of daily fantasy sports (DFS), the doors have been open for other types of gambling such as sports betting. Here’s a brief overview of the history of gambling in the Old Line State:
- 1791: Charity lotteries legalized.
- 1834: New licenses for lotteries banned, rendering lotteries illegal.
- 1920: The Maryland Racing Commission was established.
- 1943: Slot machine use was deregulated at the county level.
- 1963: Slot machines outlawed.
- 2008: Land casinos and slot machines legalized.
- 2010: Hollywood Casino Perryville, the first land-based gaming venue, opened.
- 2012: Daily fantasy sports authorized by the Maryland government.
- 2020: Residents vote to legalize sports betting.
- 2021: Six operators receive licenses for retail sports betting.
- 2022: The first online sportsbook platforms launched.
The Benefits of Online Gambling in Maryland
The level of flexibility that comes with online betting can’t be denied. You have the freedom to place bets on thousands of games regardless of whether you’re at home or on the road. Remember, though, that online gambling in Maryland excludes casino games, which may disappoint some players.
But, for now, we’ll highlight the benefits of online gambling over traditional land-based gambling venues:
- Play from anywhere you choose within MD.
- Get access to excellent welcome bonus offers and other regular promotions.
- Convenient mobile betting apps for better experiences.
- User-friendly gaming experience.
FAQ Online Gambling In Maryland
Is online gambling legal in Maryland?
Online gambling in Maryland is partially legal. The state allows online sports betting and daily fantasy sports (DFS) but prohibits online casinos and poker sites. Take the time if the type of gambling you’re interested in is legal in MD before indulging in it.
What’s the minimum age for online gambling in Maryland?
To participate in online sports betting, DFS, and the state lottery, you need to be over 18 years old. However, you must be at least 21 years old to place wagers on sports events through mobile phones.
When will online casinos become legal in Maryland?
There are ongoing discussions about the potential expansion of online gambling to include casinos. An online gaming referendum is scheduled for the 2024 ballot. This may affect the future of online gambling in Maryland.
Do I have to pay taxes on my MD online gambling winnings?
Gambling winnings are considered taxable income in Maryland. Players must report their gambling winnings when filing state income taxes. Remember to keep accurate records of your winnings and losses for tax purposes.
What are the legal alternatives for online casino gaming in Maryland?
For casino-style gaming in Maryland, consider social and sweepstakes casinos. These platforms allow players to use virtual currencies to play games and sometimes redeem their winnings for cash prizes.